Welcome

Welcome to this blog about my trip with ETC – Educating The Children – to Kenya.
We are flying out on 6th November to Nairobi and then travelling by matatu to the eastern part of the Maasai Mara.
I will be updating the blog regularly before and during the trip.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DAY 9


We had a busy day ahead today, with important meetings fixed in advance, by George, for us to meet a government minister of Education, some lawyers and a contact that Sapna (who couldn’t come on the trip) met at Lord’s in the summer.

So our taxi lady, Martha, took us to the government buildings but because we had no name for the person we needed to meet, we couldn’t get in. After a long wait it transpired that the guy we needed to see was not in the office and actually didn’t really want to see us at all! It was a disappointing start to the day but really one of the only setbacks so far. We decided to go shopping for textbooks instead; a huge range of them seem to be available to deliver the national curriculum, so we couldn’t choose there and then, but it was a useful process. There seems to be a fixation on rote learning and testing knowledge (memory) using multi choice at primary and secondary level, although the level of what needs to be learned is quite high, particularly in maths. One of the things Gerry is keen to see in the new project is introducing different styles of teaching and learning, which encourage creative thinking and improve the capacity of the young person to question and apply knowledge. The new school will also promote more vocational skills that will be useful in the job market, and these will be tailored to suit the community in the Mara.

This afternoon we met some lawyers who advised us on some of the processes needed to ensure the land is properly leased to the school, and that the school is correctly registered with the government. This was very helpful and the law partners were keen to support the project.

Later we met with this guy Sapna had met at Lord’s. He is a local businessman with some useful contacts that we can follow up.

We have just had a delicious meal of home cooked Indian food. I have felt very sleepy now for about 2 days. I find myself nodding off during conversations! I have generally felt a bit better today but I’m still longing for home. I think I feel I have come to the end of my usefulness in the project, and whilst I don’t think I am being a hindrance, and no-one is making me feel that way, I really am not contributing anything to the team. This is quite frustrating really. Also Nairobi is not my favourite place. We were worried tonight by reports that the students at the Uni (many of whom live next to our lodgings) were rioting, which can mean stoning cars etc. Our driver had to take us the long way home. This made for a long journey, and I’m sure she was in fact just deliberately driving a more roundabout route, only to end up in exactly the same place. Anyway, we are safe and sound so all’s well that ends well.

Gradually, my thoughts are turning to what I will do with the rest of my sabbatical. This is a subject that hasn’t had too much thought at all, in the busy end to October and the prep for this trip. Something to pray about I think, as I would not like to waste this gift of time that I have been given. I have had an idea for a project but more on this later ;-)

8 comments:

  1. keep going ali! i know that homesickness all too well, and it only seems to have a purpose upon reflection.. don't feel guilty for feeling the way you do! it's normal and does make you appreciate God's ability to push you through and make you stick it out.. after my days/nights of crying like the world was ending, came my most fruitful and enjoyable days in Uganda. allow God to speak to you through your tears..
    on the days where you feel like you're not being useful - you are! you're building bridges for us to be able to go out there and help, like you've suggested! and without you being the shining example and wonderful ambassador for st luke's that you are, we wouldn't have the potential of such opportunities in the future. and also i'm sure they are finding your input invaluable - as a teacher and as someone with organisational experience to bounce ideas off.
    you are NOT there in vain! God has sent you ali, keep that in your heart.
    i pray that he will surround you with his arms of comfort when you feel most homesick, and set your heart on fire for etc when you're feeling useless. you're not useless, so shush :)
    lots and lots of love, rachel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach has just made me cry! Such great words of support, so true...we are all praying for you ali, and we know God has great plans for you and this work. It's only when God takes us away from all our comforts and distractions, that he can really get through to us and teach us a new kind of dependancy and trust so we rely wholly on him. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali - never doubt yourself. You have achieved so much in this trip and will come back a stronger person. You are conquering and confronting your fears and God is upholding you. God's plan is not always easy to see whilst experiencing it - it is often when you look back that you can see it more clearly. (And one day we shall see all clearly). Karen and Rachels remarks are so lovely. I had tears in my eyes reading them. As always I continue to pray for you and Gerry (and all of you) and for your safe return, which will be very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the new project Elephant knitting perchance?......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or balloon flights from St Luke's School playing fields... I'm sure we could muster some wilder beast from somewhere in the village...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ali - 3rd time trying to set up an account to comment and successful at last! Still trying to get better on the touch keyboard and predictive text - asked Marg how her fat was going rather than her day yesterday!

    Anyway - you are doing a great job out there and it has been great to read your updates. Even if you think you are not being as useful as you were I am sure you are still bringing so much to the project and those around you. You are in our pràyers and I hope the last few days are a blessing to you and those around you. All our love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only one typo too - must be getting better on the iPhone! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a 'like' button for all the above comments!
    oh well!
    anyway, as i was praying for you I felt I needed to add that you have inspired so much! all the knitting, bags, friendships, links with other parts of the world, the bravery to step out of your comfort zone, the openness of how you're feeling and how things are going - these are all things which are INSPIRING to so many people! You are a STAR and GOD LOVES YOU HEAPS!
    anyway, this might be too late to catch you before you fly out, but if not, I'm praying for a safe journey home and can't wait to hear all about it!
    loads of love
    El xxx
    ps - one word for you - 'golf'! ;-)

    ReplyDelete